Keep Your Ruby On Rails App up-to-date with Our Upgrade Support
Ruby and Rails Version Upgrades
We have performed many upgrades for our clients for all versions of Ruby and Rails, so we are well aware of the common pitfalls which can be encountered.
After maintaining, supporting and building hundreds of Ruby on Rails applications, and with our large team of expert developers, we have intimate knowledge of the Ruby on Rails framework.
The benefits of keeping Ruby On Rails Updated
There are many benefits to having your application running on the latest version of Rails.
Some of the benefits available to you from upgrading to the latest version of Rails includes:
1. Security: Newer versions have known security issues patched and benefit from full support for any new vulnerabilities discovered.
2. Stability: Newer versions work better with published gems and third party integrations, so are less likely to break at inopportune moments. Additionally, improvements made to the core also mean the framework is more stable overall.
3. Speed: With each new version efficiencies are discovered are created that means the framework runs faster in given circumstances. Any speed increase is a benefit to your end users.
4. Features: Each new version gives you access to new features or improved ways of doing the things to make the experience better for developers and users.
5. If you don’t keep your codebase current, the Gem set can introduce challenging problems. When you upgrade, Gem version updates become available. This equals increased security, refactored code.
6. Current rails versions are more performant, better optimised and responsive.
7. Developers like working on current code bases / cleaner codebases.
8. It is easier to find developers to work on the current versions of rails apps.
9. By keeping code current, you can continue to upgrade in small steps vs having a much larger project later on.
10. The benefits for our Ops team for working with upgraded rails apps include:
For more information on the benefits of upgrading your Rails application, see the article written by our CEO.
Looking to upgrade to the latest Ruby/Rails Version?
The Ruby language is developed independently to Rails. As a result of this it is important when considering an upgrade for your RoR application that you upgrade both Ruby and Rails version.
The Ruby team is constantly working to make the language easy to write and, performant and relevant to our modern web applications.
Keeping your Ruby versions up-to-date can deliver benefits to your developers and speed their efforts to create new features, and at the same time it and may save cost in server resources to serve your web pages.
To find out in more detail how a Ruby Version upgrade may improve your application, please get in touch with us.
The Ruby On Rails Upgrade Process
First we get an overview of your application, this is done by inspecting the following:
- Output of rake stats
- Then, if needed, we'll also schedule a quick look at your application's code.
Once our initial review is complete, we identify any key areas that we feel should be handled before diving into a full framework upgrade, and then we give you an estimate on the time and cost it would take for us to handle it. At this point, you are free to engage reinteractive to provide development services to solve the identified issues, or handle it in-house, or even continue working with your existing team of consultants.
Once any major issues are handled, reinteractive will start upgrading your application to the latest version of Rails and Ruby.
Once the upgrade process is complete and running on our development systems, we'll test run it with you in a staging environment to ensure all is well before helping you roll it out into production.
Once live, you can take advantage of our reinteractive Ruby on Rails OpsCare® service for 24/7 fixed price operations support or Ruby on Rails CodeCare® for fixed price ongoing code maintenance to handle future updates and tweaks.
To find out more or discuss your requirements, please get in touch with us.
We helped State Library New South Wales build an award-winning transcription editing platform.
Hosting millions of check-ins seamlessly for COVID Comply with zero downtime rather than building an internal operations team, it made sense to use a third-party provider - OpsCare.
Norths Collective needed to roadmap a mobile web application, to digitise their membership services enabling members to access services from any device.
Standardising the packaging industry in Australia, the APCO members application provides an industry portal.