After maintaining, supporting and building over 200 Ruby on Rails applications, and with our large team of expert developers, we have intimate knowledge of the Ruby on Rails framework.
There are many benefits to having your application running on the latest version of Rails.
Some of the benefits available to you from upgrading to Rails 7 include:
- Rails 7 has the latest updates in it for the most performant and secure site.
- Rails versions of 6.0 and lower are not covered by security patches or any further bug-fixes. As new versions of Rails are released, the earlier versions are at risk.
- Only severe security issues will be patched for versions 6.0.x and 5.2.x.
- Keeping up-to-date saves you from a re-write. By keeping your code upgraded you keep down technical debt, which, if it gets too great, may require a re-write of the codebase.
- If you don't keep your codebase current, the gem set can introduce challenging problems. When you upgrade, gem version updates become available. This equals increased security, refactored code.
- Current Rails versions are more performant, better optimised and responsive.
- Developers like working on current code bases / cleaner codebases.
- It is easier to find developers to work on the current versions of Rails apps.
- By keeping code current, you can continue to upgrade in small steps vs having a much larger project later on.
- The benefits for our Ops team for working with upgraded Rails apps include:
- Easier to debug if problems arise.
- Cleaner, simpler code base
- Better gems and less problems with gems - by using the latest versions.
For more information on the benefits of upgrading your Rails application, see the article written by our CEO.
The Ruby language is developed independently to Rails. And, while later versions of Rails require later versions of Ruby, there can be benefits to upgrading itself.
The Ruby team is constantly working to make the Ruby language easy to write and, performant and relevant to our modern web applications.
Keeping your Ruby versions up-to-date can deliver benefits to your developers and speed their efforts to create new features, and at the same time it and may save cost in server resources to serve your web pages.
To find out in more detail how a Ruby version upgrade may improve your application, please get in touch with us.
First we get an overview of your application, this is done by inspecting the following:
- Output of rake stats
Then, if needed, we'll also schedule a quick look at your application's code.
Once our initial review is complete, we identify any key areas that we feel should be handled before diving into a full framework upgrade, and then we give you an estimate on the time and cost it would take for us to handle it. At this point, you are free to engage reinteractive to provide development services to solve the identified issues, or handle it in-house, or even continue working with your existing team of consultants.
Once any major issues are handled, reinteractive will start upgrading your application to the latest version of Rails and Ruby.
Once the upgrade process is complete and running on our development systems, we'll test run it with you in a staging environment to ensure all is well before helping you roll it out into production.
Once live, you can take advantage of our reinteractive Ruby on Rails OpsCare® service for 24/7 fixed price operations support or Ruby on Rails CodeCare® for fixed price ongoing code maintenance to handle future updates and tweaks.
To find out more or discuss your requirements, please get in touch with us.
AgenciesHQ retained reinteractive developers to help migrate their application to Engine Yard cloud and to upgrade to the latest Rails and Ruby.
In September 2010 reinteractive began supporting and maintaining the AgenciesHQ website. With an inhouse development team already churning out features as fast as they could, AgenciesHQ partnered with reinteractive for the expert backup and support they needed to perform some of the more serious tasks.
Mikel has a passion for his work and it comes through in the finished product. He's extremely easy to work with, bounce ideas off of and ultimately partner with to make a vision become reality. reinteractive has my highest recommendation!Kyle Ginavan, AgenciesHQ
How to update your Rails application to the latest version (7....
Why we prefer Ruby over other languages
Launching into 2022
- AppWorkshop - Consultation & Project Scoping
- App Design Workshop
- User Experience (UX) Design
- Visual Design
- Web & Mobile App Development
- Salesforce & Heroku Custom Solutions
- OpsCare® Managed Hosting
- CodeCare® Code Maintenance
- Code Inspect Service
- Ruby on Rails Upgrade Support
AppWorkshop - Consultation & Project Scoping
We work hard to find the right digital solution for you. Through our AppWorkshop we work with you to identify opportunities and engage in expert planning for business-critical applications. The aim is to get your application delivered and operating as fast as possible, with the viewpoint of incrementally adding features as the site matures and grows.
App Design Workshop
Developing any software is a significant investment. If the foundations aren’t there before you begin development you can invest more than necessary getting your MVP to market. This workshop is for anyone who needs to innovate their business and requires the ideation of an application or anyone who has an application idea that needs to be mapped out.
User Experience (UX) Design
We help make even the most complicated web and mobile apps easy to navigate and create solutions that engage users, keeping them happy and on your page longer.
Our Visual Designers work with you to create the final look and feel of your website or application, including the strategic implementation of images, colours, fonts and other elements.
Web & Mobile App Development
Salesforce & Heroku Custom Solutions
We have in-depth experience in utilising the Salesforce® API and the Heroku platform that allows us to build custom applications that sync with Salesforce, allowing you to leverage the full power of the Salesforce Cloud.
OpsCare® Managed Hosting
We will protect, monitor and scale your Ruby on Rails website or app 24/7. Hosted on AWS or Heroku. We wear the pagers, so you can concentrate on growing your business.
CodeCare® Code Maintenance
Fixed price ongoing code maintenance for Ruby on Rails applications to handle future updates and tweaks.
An application review is where reinteractive reviews your application code base for security flaws, performance issues, or anything that should be improved.
Code Inspect Service
With over 200 major projects completed by reinteractive, we have a very deep understanding of best practices and ideal scenes in software development, positioning us to deliver a comprehensive report on the quality of any Ruby on Rails based code.
Ruby on Rails Upgrade Support
Our expert team have intimate knowledge of the Ruby on Rails framework, making reinteractive a fantastic choice for upgrading your application to the latest version of Rails and Ruby.