OpenShutters manufacture award winning Australian shutters, louvres and screens. They created the original plantation shutter over 20 years ago and since then, they have been first choice for thousands of architects and designers, in Australia and internationally. Located on the Central Coast, NSW, OpenShutters provide innovative designs to a large scale of distributors nationally. They continue to invest in design and technology, whilst maintaining their master craftsmanship standards.
OpenShutters had an existing web-based application that acted as their showroom, enabling staff to:
- Issue quotes and estimates
- Transform existing quotes into orders that could be tracked throughout the production process
- Provide a distributor portal allowing clients to raise quotes, place orders and track the production process and shipping times.
They had an existing Ruby on Rails web application hosted internally on a Windows server, but this had been neglected and had not been upgraded for over six years. Along with the system being on an unsupported, outdated platform there were further issues; various glitches and incompatibility with updated internet browsers, open security holes, problems associated with any attempted future upgrades, further development or advanced feature additions.
“reinteractive hit the ground running and progressed with it, expertly and autonomously. They give us access to superb technical skill and keep us online.”Gail Cottrill - Innovation Champion, OpenShutters
OpenShutter’s web application is very important to the business as it acts as a virtual catalogue for potential and existing clients, servicing and streamlining the buying process on a national level.
Specialist retailers can login, check on the progress of their orders, quote jobs and place orders online with minimal time wasted and so ongoing system support and code-quality care is exceptionally vital.
Once discovering reinteractive’s ‘care services’, a prompt decision was made to:
- Upgrade to the latest version of Ruby and Rails
- Migrate to reinteractive’s 24/7 operations as a service offering, OpsCare hosted by AWS
- Sign up to reinteractive’s month-to-month ongoing code improvement service, CodeCare, to ensure their codebase maintains high standards of quality.
Although the upgrade was a huge undertaking, it enabled the vital security issues to be handled along with resolving outdated components. The OpsCare service enables constant contact between OpenShutters and reinteractive and any issues that arise are handled on an immediate basis. Previously a storm or bad weather would cause system outages and bugs that completely halted production and sales, preventing clients from processing orders online.
reinteractive gave OpenShutters the potential to scale their web application without disruption or potential problems, helping them save on running expenses as they no longer pay for servers they don’t need. Loss of business due to down time is now at a minimum.
“CodeCare has provided a convenient and cost effective way to maintain the quality and integrity of our code, on an ongoing basis.”Gail Cottrill - Innovation Champion, OpenShutters
- Minimal system failure and downtime
- Reduced disruption and loss of production
- Increased attention to web applications with an overall reduction in costs
- Immediate resolution to any bug or issue that arises
- Secure, trusted and supported hosting environment
- Increased customer satisfaction through site stability performance.
“OpsCare is like having an expert operations engineer on staff; the system of continuous communication, having direct access and quick responses works extremely well.”Gail Cottrill - Innovation Champion, OpenShutters